Full Stack Developer
At Joist, we’re on a mission to make contractors heroes! Joist is already the #1 platform for contractors worldwide, but there’s still work to be done. We have incredible adoption from contractors, top-tier venture partners from Toronto, San Francisco, and Boston, and a gritty team that truly cares about what they're working on.
Joist is looking for an experienced Full-Stack Engineer to help design and implement the platform that powers Joist on its mission. You will be responsible for taking projects from inception to deployment and beyond. As we move to a distributed service oriented architecture we need to rapidly define services that meet the need of the business and power uncompromising experiences for homeowners and contractors. You will be responsible for working with other team members to design the services and apply techniques of distributed computing to ensure they scale to millions of users.
Joist for Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/joist
Joist for iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id592163563
Joist for Web: https://my.joistapp.com/login
What you need to know/have:
Architecture You have a strong understanding of the building blocks of a robust and scalable system. You are able to dissect business problems into well designed systems. You have the experience to know what to build and the discipline to know what not to.
CS Fundamentals You have an understanding of algorithms, data structures, design patterns and persistence technologies. You are able to select the right tool for the right job.
Distributed Systems You know how to build, debug, and monitor independently scalable and autonomous systems. You understand how to leverage messaging to encourage loosely-coupled coordination between systems.
Delivery Focused Code on a laptop doesn't solve problems. You know that a project is only done once it's delivered and validated. Residential construction is a large problem to tackle. You are driven to complete a project because you know that 5 more problems are waiting to be tackled, and you do it all without sacrificing quality.
Passion Hard problems are not solved overnight. It takes a special kind of attitude and hunger to disrupt an entrenched industry. Your passion is what you share with every teammate at Joist. Passion for technology, passion for change, and passion for building an industry revolutionizing product.
Design Sense You excel at taking a mockup design and furiously translating it into a working site. You provide continuous feedback to ensure designs are providing the best user experience possible.
Started in 2013, Joist is an end to end vertical software platform for small & medium sized trades contractors. Joist gives trades contractors the software tools & best practices needed to deliver incredible home renovation experiences, and connects them with homeowners looking for home improvement work. We've got the largest contractor network in the world using Joist to power their business, and we have major growth planned.
Tools of the Trade:
- Experience with distributed systems. Event-driven architecture / SOA / microservices
- Worked with messaging technologies such RabbitMQ or similar
- Experience with a variety of persistence technologies (PostgreSQL, Redis, Memcached, NoSQL)
- Experience designing and evolving APIs
- Experience with backend MVC web frameworks such as Ruby on Rails or .NET MVC
- Experience building mobile applications is a plus
- Experience with front-end frameworks such as ReactJS
- Awareness of cross-browser compatibility issues and client-side performance considerations
What makes working here awesome:
- Unlimited Vacation & Flexible Work Hours
- Healthcare & Dental Benefits
- Health & Wellness Credit
- Quarterly Team Events
- Work from any of our office locations
- Joist swag to make you feel right at home
- Take ownership in the company you work for! Roles include full stock option plans for all full-time team members.